Labels

Thursday, March 29, 2018

#sol18 March 29 When Are You Coming?

"I haven't seen you in forever," he commented when we saw each other in the hallway.  "When are you coming to get me?"

He was clearly doing the slow-route-back-to-class-from -bathroom-visiting-studying-every bulletin-board-grate-and dust-bunny. I had not seen him in two days thanks to class play dress rehearsal and the day of production, but it certainly had not been forever!

"I'll see you tomorrow," I added cheerfully, "don't worry."

"Promise?" he asked.

"Oh, I just remembered.  I won't be here tomorrow," he smiled.

"Why not?" I asked wondering if he was serious or just kidding.

"I'm leaving for vacation on Friday," he smiled. "I'm going to Connecticut."

"Tomorrow's Thursday," I smiled, "so we can read together tomorrow."

"Unless I'm not here," he added.

"I sure hope you are here, tomorrow," I smiled as we parted ways and he resumed his hallway reading.

Sometimes, interruptions like class plays happen; however, my students often find ways to cope by hallway reading until we meet again. 

PS He was there on Thursday!

1 comment:

bjdonaldson said...

The dialogue in your slice gave me a real feel for your relationship with your student. How wonderful that he loves to come see you and that 2 days feels, to him, like forever! I only thought our building had the "walk as slowly as I can to avoid being in class" students. Ha, ha.